Los Angeles – Although in general the Longevity Diet can be implemented for the prevention of cancer, some individuals (Angelina Jolie is perhaps the best known example) are carriers of genetic mutations such as those of the BRCA that carry a high risk of getting sick of cancer, in some cases well over 80%. Mastectomy and other surgical interventions can reduce the incidence of some of these cancers of genetic origin, but proper nutrition and the use of the Fasting-mimicking Diet can also be decisive for the purpose. A correct dietary strategy may also be able to reduce cancer recurrence in patients who have previously been diagnosed and treated for cancer.
Nutrition recommendations for individuals at high risk of contracting cancer
People with medical conditions cannot do the fasting mimicking diet (DMD) without the prior approval of their specialist doctor. In the case of severe or relatively serious illness (cancer, diabetes or cardiovascular, autoimmune or neurodegenerative disease), it is important to seek permission and approval from a specialist for the specific disease and from a professional experienced in DMD or fasting therapy. The use of DMD for the treatment of the disease should for now be limited to clinical trials unless the physician determines that there are no viable options and the patient cannot await the conclusion of appropriate clinical trials and FDA approval. (US Food and Drug Administration) or equivalent health agencies in other countries.
- 1. THE DAILY LONGEVITY DIET Adopt the pescetarian diet for longevity – The daily longevity diet, reducing protein intake to about 0.66 grams per kg of body weight per day.
- 2. NUTRITION Reduce your fish intake to once or twice a week and get all other nutrients from plant sources (no cheese, milk, chicken, etc.)
- 3. GLUCOSE Reduce sugars to a minimum, but also minimize the consumption of pasta and bread. It is important to keep blood sugars as low as possible, but always safe.
- 4. BODY WEIGHT Maintain a healthy weight and body mass index (see Chapter 4 of the book The Longevity Diet).
- 5. EXERCISE Optimize physical exercise.
- 6. FAST-MIMING DIET Undergo a 5-day Mime-Fasting Diet every 1-3 months depending on your weight and health condition (every 3 months if you are in excellent health and your weight and abdominal circumference are ideal ; every month if they are not). Remember that in studies on mice, the fasting mimicking diet has been found to be as effective in many cases as chemotherapy and that, instead of damaging healthy tissues and organs, it protects them and reduces the incidence of tumors by almost 50%. .
- 7. VITAMINS AND VEGETABLES Make sure you are getting all the nutrients: essential fatty acids (omega 3/6), vitamins, minerals, etc. (see Chapter 4 of the book The Longevity Diet), both from a wide range of vegetables and legumes. (broccoli, carrots, green peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, lentils, peas, black beans etc.) and from fish such as salmon. The immune system represents one of the major defenses against cancer, so the diet must be balanced in order to destroy cancer or pre-tumor cells without causing deficiencies in the immune system itself, nor hormonal changes that can be debilitating. See examples of highly nutritious diets in the final pages of the book The Longevity Diet.
- 8. VITAMIN C Talk to your oncologist about the possibility of taking 6 grams of oral vitamin C daily for a few weeks in the liposomal or Ester-C forms or other forms that limit gastrointestinal side effects. A good deal of research has shown that this vitamin has the ability to fight cancer, although these effects are controversial. Even if it doesn’t work, taking these doses of vitamin C every few months is safe and shouldn’t cause any problems.
- 9. GOOD FATS Fill up on good fats: olive oil, nuts, coconut oil, and minimize the consumption of saturated fats, including those of vegetable origin.
- 10. AVOID ALCOHOLIC DRINKS Avoid alcoholic beverages as much as possible.
A SHORT FAST APPEARS TO COUNTERACT THE RISE IN BLOOD SUGAR CAUSED BY DRUGS USED TO TREAT CANCER BY PROTECTING HEALTHY CELLS IN MICE AND MAKING THEM LESS VULNERABLE DURING CANCER, ACCORDING TO A NEW STUDY BY RESEARCHERS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. CHEMOTHERAPY
IFG-1, associated with cancer and aging, is significantly reduced after 3 cycles of the Mime-Fasting Diet in individuals at risk for cancer.